It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: A look at the Nemesis System
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:30 pm 
Primal Carnage Team - Animator/PublicRelations

Update: The Nemesis System is outdated and no longer being used for Primal Carnage. This announcement and the reasons why can be found on page 5.

The Nemesis System

In Primal Carnage, each playable class has different strengths and weaknesses; an example being how the Scientist is good at long-range combat, but no good at close up. These strengths and weaknesses align so that among the ten classes, each character finds that they are at both a disadvantage to one class, and at an advantage to another. This is the Nemesis System, which plays out as a sort of 'Rock-Paper-Scissors' game, although the outcome is not always definite. Any class may be able to defeat any other class, though when up against a nemesis there shall be extra challenge. The ultimate purpose of the Nemesis System is for balance, so that no one class ends up all powerful.
Attachment:
nemesis.jpg
nemesis.jpg [ 104.34 KiB | Viewed 10922 times ]

Scientist > Pteranodon
The Scientist is primarily a sniper, specializing in long range combat. As a result of this, she makes the perfect nemesis to the Pteranodon which spends its time flying high in the air and swooping down on unsuspecting mercenaries. A Pteranodon can be plucked from the air with a well aimed shot from the Scientist’s rifle.

Pteranodon > Pathfinder
The Pathfinder is equipped with a short range shotgun, which leaves him at a disadvantage against any enemy Pteranodons without proper support from his teammates. The Pteranodon can also swoop in and pick up the Pathfinder’s companion dog and carry it away, leaving the mercenaries unaware of hiding raptors and other dinosaurs.

Pathfinder > Dilophosaurus
The Pathfinder's flares have a negative effect on the dinosaur's vision, but none more so than the Dilophosaurus. When used against the Dilo, the flares cause temporary blindness, and the Dilophosaurus cannot spit at what it cannot see.

Dilophosaurus > Trapper
The Dilophosaurus can easily and quickly break free from the Trapper's nets. But more importantly, the corrosive spit of the Dilo can weaken the nets of other trapped dinosaurs, freeing them. A Dilophosaurus can undo all of the Trapper's crowd-control.

Trapper > Raptor
The Trapper's Netgun can easily put a stop to a pesky Raptor that’s running circles around his mercenary squad. The net has a wide radius when fired and can immobilize the Raptor in a single shot if the Trapper is accurate.

Raptor > Commando
The Raptor can overpower the Commando by outmaneuvering his inaccurate assault rifle.The Commando and his large weapons are more suited towards taking down towering beasts like the T-Rex.

Commando > T-Rex
The Commando is at his best when battling large opponents such as the T-Rex due to his rapid fire assault rifle, which would normally be inaccurate when firing on smaller targets. In addition to his assault rifle, the Commando also has a grenade launcher which delivers massive damage to anything it can hit.

T-Rex > Firestarter
The Firestarter has to get in close to attack his enemies, which is suicide when facing the mighty T-Rex. The T-Rex has multiple finishing moves which are devastating to any unfortunate mercenaries that happen to be within range.

Firestarter > Compsognathus
The Firestarter is unrivaled when it comes to area defense, his flames sear anything
within melee range. The fact that his flamethrower can burn multiple targets at once
make him the Compies worst nightmare as they hunt and travel in large but tight packs.

Compsognathus > Scientist
The Compy can easily trump the Scientist if she wanders off from the rest of her squad to take some pot shots at the other dinosaurs. The Scientist can only fire one shot every few seconds, which makes her extremely vulnerable to a pack of Compies as they can range from 15-20 in a single group.

*The Nemesis System and character abilities may subject to change during the course of game development.

Post subject: Re: A look at the Nemesis System
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:50 pm 
Paleontologist

Well, this definitely answers most of the questions I've had. Now, when do we get to see some gameplay videos? I fully understand the game's not even close to release yet, merely curious if there's an earlier trial video coming soon. I mean, we've all got a BASIC idea of how the game plays, but we really need to see the game in action to get a good feel for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:52 pm 
Donator

Cool! Just one thing though about the Firestarter:
Real flamethrowers cast flames over 50-100 feet. Not "within melee range" which seems to be around 5-10 feet. Set it up to 20 feet, and that seems fine. Also, I hope the flamethrower has limited ammo. You know what happens with unlimited ammo on ANYTHING with weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:03 pm 
Donator

sweet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm 
Predator

Sauropod Sailor wrote:
Well, this definitely answers most of the questions I've had. Now, when do we get to see some gameplay videos? I fully understand the game's not even close to release yet, merely curious if there's an earlier trial video coming soon. I mean, we've all got a BASIC idea of how the game plays, but we really need to see the game in action to get a good feel for it.

have patience you must(yoda voice). :ugeek:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm 
Donator

Compy and Firestarter, here I come! :lol:

But seriously, I'm kind of a pyromaniac and a lover of small dinosaurs. So these classes are PERFECT!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:05 pm 
Donator

Sauropod Sailor wrote:

yeah, plus when are we goin to see more videos featuring the dinosaur and human attacks?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:08 pm 
Hunter-gatherer

Awesome I was already wondering on how it would work out.

"Pteranodon would be able to pick up the Pathfinders dog" Sounds great. :P

Just wondering about the Trapper, how would his net fare against the T-Rex?

And it seems I will do some nice scout hunting as a Compy. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm 
Predator

Phalanx300 wrote:
Awesome I was already wondering on how it would work out.

"Pteranodon would be able to pick up the Pathfinders dog" Sounds great. :P

Just wondering about the Trapper, how would his net fare against the T-Rex?

And it seems I will do some nice scout hunting as a Compy. :twisted:

well for one thing the rex has a large head so unlike the smaller dinos who can bite on the rope he cant, and also due to his tiny arms he cant cut the rope. id say he takes the longest to free.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:59 pm 
Primal Carnage Team - Animator/PublicRelations

It is still under consideration for what happens when the Trapper uses his Netgun against larger targets like the T-Rex or large NPCs. Certainly the net is not large enough to wrap them up.

What I would personally like to see is an effect based on the area hit. A net to the leg(s) will temporarily slow or stop the target, a net to the face will temporarily not allow any mouth attacks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next